Don't Be Shy!

I am glad you stopped by my blog! I'd like to get to know more about you! I enjoy each and every comment left on my blog! If you're new, please introduce yourself! Comments are welcomed!!

Friday, March 09, 2007

He's safe...but in trouble...COSTLY trouble

WHEN OH WHEN do they figure out LIFE and GROW UP??????? I got a phone call today around noon asking where I was and when I'd be home. I said soon, why? The oldest said, we need to talk. I said about what? He said, I totalled the car last night and got a ticket for a DUI. The good news is he is OK. There wasn't anyone else involved which is good as well. He was driving home around 3AM and swerved on a 2 lane road to avoid hitting 2 deer. Instead he hit a guardrail and it tore the passenger side to shreds. UNFORTUNATELY, instead of calling ME, he called 911. He knew for insurance purposes he needed an accident report. Had he called me, we could've avoided the whole DUI thing. He told me he wasn't worried about the fact that he had been been drinking cuz he thought he was fine to drive. I know from past experience that he calls for a designated driver if he needs to. But this wasn't his night. He blew under the legal limit but because he was in an accident he was ticked with the DUI. They cuffed him, put him in the back of the police car, took him to the PD and fingerprinted him,, took a mug shot, and he called a friend to pick him up. He wants to fight this because if he's convicted he will lose his job at the liquor store...his ONLY job right now. He also does not feel that he was incapable of driving. SO...he's looking at a fee of $750 if he and the lawyer decide to go the route of diversion. If he goes to court to fight it the lawyer fee doubles. He also has to buy a new car, get insurance, etc etc etc.

The autobody shop said without taking the car apart, they would estimate the damage at $7,-$8k...basically the car will be totalled. Now we wait for insurance to get in touch with us...our deductible is HIGH which stinks...but it keeps our premiums lower.

As I said, he's OK and cars can be fixed. I did tell him to let this be a WAKE UP call! Here are a couple of pics of the car...I HAVE A HEADACHE...

5 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

OK so this is when you give them a hug because you're so glad they're OK and then start hollering at them about how stupid they are right?

I HATE those "Mom, we gotta talk" calls! I'm so glad that he's OK and that no one else was hurt.

Patti said...

Yes, at least he's OK. That is the most important thing. Keep focusing on that. This will be a hard lesson to learn, but if he learns it then it will be a good thing. Just think if he had hit another car or a pedestrian. Thank goodness he didn't.

The Calico Cat said...

WOW - Thankfully he is o.k.

I have heard from troopers that it is better to hit the deer in the long run... (Not that that advice helps now, nor it is intuitive in the moment...)

Gail said...

The joys of raising sons! All we can do is pray and hold our breath, they will do what they want anyway! After all, they know so much more than we do! LOL

Marlublu said...

Boy can I relate to this post. When my son was 18 right out of college he called to tell us he had been in an accident and told us where the car was.Some other teenage girl hit him and cops were not involved.When my husband and I drove like maniacs to get to him we found the car but not my son.We had no idea if he was in a hospital or what.We drove all over town and called hospitals and jails.We found him driving around with some friends.He figured he was going to get in trouble so he decided to keep on partying before going home.Can you believe that.Who calls home to say he's been in an accident and then continues to party.My son.Being a mother,the hardest job on earth!