Don't Be Shy!

I am glad you stopped by my blog! I'd like to get to know more about you! I enjoy each and every comment left on my blog! If you're new, please introduce yourself! Comments are welcomed!!

Monday, November 28, 2005

The Holiday Blues

AH, the holiday season has once again reared its ugly yet beautiful head. This time of year is a difficult time for me because it's a season that my mom loved so very much. You see, my mom has been gone for 14 Holiday Seasons. She died of ovarian cancer in May, '92. And ya know, I still miss mom, but especially at the holidays.

What do I miss about mom? LOTS!
  • Like the smell of her after she took a bath and lathered herself in Estee Lauder's White Linen lotion.
  • Or seeing her on the couch, glasses on, totally engulfed in a book.
  • Shopping! Shopping! Shopping! Mom LOVED to shop!
  • Our vacation to London that mom took me on. It was the BEST vacation because we had each other's undivided attention and there was no one else to worry about. I am so thankful for that because a year after that trip she died.
  • Her calling me "darlin" whenever I'd call
  • Our long talks about everything and nothing on the phone!
  • Spur of the moments trip I would make to see her "just because".
  • She was such a kind and loving person.
  • I miss mom's great cooking! SHE loved to cook and she had a GAZILLION cookbooks! That's no joke! There was a closet at the end of a hallway and it was JUST cookbooks! And at the other end of the hallway...another closet...and YEP, you guessed it...COOKBOOKS!
  • OH, that reminds me...mom used to read the phone book! LOL...this really brings a smile to my face! I'd come home from school and there she was on the couch with the phone book. I'd say, "Mom, what are you doing?" She'd say, "Hi Darlin! I'm reading the phone book!" I'd say, "WHY?" She'd say, "Oh, I wondered if so-n-so still lived in their house. Then I thought of so-n-so and had to check on them too!" This went on for a long time sometimes! The phonebook...who would've thunk someone would actually READ it except to find a phone number!
  • I remember mom telling me after my tennis matches that she was SO nervous. I would just laugh and think...HUH? How can you be nervous when you aren't even playing? But now that I have kids who play soccer...I GET IT! I just wish mom were here to tell that to now!
  • I miss her being a grandma to my kids. They have missed out on such a great person for a grandma...but they hear stories about her all the time! So, they "know" her!
  • I miss seeing my dad pat mom on the rear and kiss her 3 times when he came into the house and left the house. It's hard to see dad grow old alone.
  • I miss mom at the holidays. The site of her in the kitchen, apron on, always bustling around to get the meal put together and wanting to be sure we were all happy.

That's what makes the holidays a blue time for me, yet I love them too. I'm sure there's more about mom that I miss...but for now...that's what came to my head!

7 comments:

Granny said...

Laurie, sounds like you have such wonderful memories of your mom. And your post is a wonderful tribute to her.

Judy L.

Granny said...

Hey, I see those UFO's listed over there ----->

Judy L.

Laurie said...

Thanks Judy! I sure miss her a LOT! And LOL on the UFO's there...I haven't even touched the TIP of the UFO Iceberg on that list!

Laurie

The Calico Cat said...

Thanks for sharing... I miss my mom too, but she is still living... I sent her a wedding invitation certified mail just so I would know that she got it...

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I miss my Mom too. I am sorry that she never got to meet my lovely little boy. Yes, I get a touch of blue during certain times/memories, but I carry on cheerfully for my little boys sake. I am the next generation and he is the next. I also came up with some NEW traditions for the holidays that give me no memory reference of my Mom and that has helped too. I look forward to some of my new traditions and also carrying on the familiar ones too. You are not alone in your feelings and yes, sometimes it is the silly little things that I miss the most too.

Laurie Ann said...

Laurie - Got this on my blog from Finn. I've changed my name to Laurie Ann, so it is not so confusing. Sorry!

****

Hi Laurie, hope this is the right one..*VBS* If not, you'll be wondering...LOL.

The Pineapple Blossom directions that I used is at www.quiltville.com. It's Bonnie Hunter's site, and I would imagine you know of it. It's probably the newest one listed there, close to the bottom of the page. She did hers scrappy with lattice..I decided to use up some christmas scraps in mine. Also shown is a picture of Sarah's from Thought from a disorganized Quilter(also a maverick member). Sarah did hers in left over "coffee" fabrics..it's awesome ! Love your site..I can identify with you missing your mom, mine died when I was 27 and a new mom myself. She was only 52..way too young to be gone.

******

Samantha said...

Your mom really became real for me from this post. The love you have for her is very clear. Thanks for sharing all your lovely memories.