Don't Be Shy!

I am glad you stopped by my blog! I'd like to get to know more about you! I enjoy each and every comment left on my blog! If you're new, please introduce yourself! Comments are welcomed!!

Saturday, October 20, 2007

A life of its own!

Well, I have a lot of catching up to do since I have been posting breast cancer stuff this month. A major event occured last Saturday. My youngest son, Dan, graduated from firefighting academy!!!! He is now a full fledged firefighter who needs a job! LOL...but here is a pic of him with his brother and sister at his graduation. The ceremony wasn't announced until 10 days before it happened so DH and I missed it because we were in DC for DH's business and this trip had been planned for months. While we were at lunch Dan sent me a pic via text messaging of him wth his diploma...I cried right there in the restaurant.

I had told Dan that when he graduated (he got his final test results on Friday...he passed the final 4 tests...) that I would make him a fire quilt. I had a TON of fabric that I had collected...can you say too much??? But what pattern was I going to do?? I had several fabs that needed to be fussy cut and 9" was a good size. That being said, I figured, OK, I need an alternate block to set with the larger blocks. I called both my sisters and they had the same idea that I did...use the other fabs, cut 6" squares and frame them to be 9". As I thought about it I didn't want it to be that boring and I wanted to use a LOT of the fabrics without worrying about seams, matching, contrast etc. OK...so I went to an online site that a friend of mine started and she had a book on there that I HAVE!!!!! It's called "Happy Hour" by Terri Atkinson! The cover quilt was the answer to my problem!!! I used that block as my alternate.
Now the body of the quilt is designed, but what to do about the rest? I had a hydrant fabric that I knew I would fussy cut and have as the first border. But what was next??? Fabric usage was of prime concern here. OK...so, let's do a piano key border next and use a BUNCH more fabric! YESSSSSSSSSS!!! Still not big enough though...I wanted it to fit a double bed if not a queen. I wanted to use the red firetruck/fireman fabric for the last border. But, I did not have enough to piece it and fit the top. (sigh) What to do, what to do? Hmmmmmmm...the flame fabric that I have wasn't used enough, how can I use it in the border? LIGHT BULB comes on! LOL...I decided the firemen needed to be putting flames out so I mitred flame fabric into the final border!

OMG...When I looked at the quilt I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I honestly have to say that this might be my most favorite quilt yet! It is busy but so fun! It's a happy quilt and I know Dan will LOVE it! Here's a closeup of some of the top.

OK..top done...I bet you think I used up most of the fabric. WRONG!!! I have enough left to probably make a lap throw! YIKES!

I hear what you are thinking...NO NO NO, the back is in need of being made yet! Use the leftovers for the backing! HAHAHAHAHA...nope, I have 2 flannels that I will use for the back! ROFL...Maybe a lap quilt is in order!

Anyway, I willl get a label made, a back made, throw it on the longarm, bind it and give it to my fireman Dan!!!

It was fun to quilt!
Hugs
Laurie

3 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

Congratulations to your son! My nephew completed a paramedic course and was hired by the city he lives in but also has to attend the fire academy which is what he's doing now.

I've had trouble posting photos over the last week but I just try 3-4 times right in a row and I've always gotten them posted. SO keep trying if you get an error message.

Barb said...

WOW (!!) Laurie, I can hear the *fun* in your post....very cool quilt! Absolutely no doubt in mind that you would come up with a very creative quilt!! Congrats to *Firefighter Dan*...very exciting!! H/LY

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I KNOW you would have been there if you could have been - got to love modern technology though - how cool to get a photo of the event, during the event!!! And the quilt truly is GREAT!!! You did find the perfect pattern to showcase all the fun prints!

Cheers!

Evelyn