Don't Be Shy!

I am glad you stopped by my blog! I'd like to get to know more about you! I enjoy each and every comment left on my blog! If you're new, please introduce yourself! Comments are welcomed!!

Monday, January 01, 2007

New Year's Eve...a close call

For years now, we have fondued for New Year's Eve. We usually do a cheese fondue for an appetizer, then our pnut oil fondue for the main course, followed up by chocolate fondue for dessert. The main fondue is done with electric fondue pots. The other 2 are done with sterno under the bowl. WELL...while getting ready to eat I put the sterno where it belonged under the chocolate in the bowl. It was sitting on the cupboard in the picture below. I decided to put the sterno out and rather than use the "snuffer" that came with it I picked up the flaming sterno container and it fell to the floor. Sterno gel splattered up the cupboard door and we had the potential for a bad fire. Luckily, we got it put out but not before we had some damage. (sigh) I had tears in my eyes and my son said, "Mom, this was an accident and it's not going to ruin our night!". He was right...we had a great time, stayed up to late, played games, and laughed a lot! Ya just gotta love family time!

Here are pic that my son took to capture the moment after all had settled down!
Happy New Year's everyone! I hope you do something quilty!
Hugs
Laurie



3 comments:

Eileen said...

Wow, Laurie. Your guardian angel was definitely watching your family last night! Glad you had a happy ending.
I've just caught up with a lot of your posts and I have to applaud you and your family. You are all survivors in so many ways.
Happy quilty New Year!

Patti said...

I'm so glad your damage wasn't worse. One of these days you'll laugh about it - like we do now. Oh boy - did this bring back memories! We've done fondue for Christmas Eve for years - cheese fondue only. Years ago I had a fondue pot that used a liquid fuel instead of sterno. I often had a terrible time getting it so stay lit. One particular Christmas I put lots and lots of fuel in the container, and apparently without realizing it I must have slopped some outside the container on the tray under the pot. Well, we lit the two pots and that one started to burn really well. Too well in fact. The fire burned where it was supposed to but almost immediately where it wasn't supposed to also - on the underneath tray and around the legs of the pot stand. It was blazing really well. So I ran to the kitchen for baking soda. I grabbed the yellow tupperware container out of the cupboard but grabbed the wrong one - it was cornstarch instead. Well, the fire loved that and the cornstarch started to burn. Luckily I managed to get the right stuff almost immediately and put out the fire, and nothing suffered damage other than the fondue pot. We transferred the cheese to the other pot and 6 of us crowded around one pot. We put the other out on the patio to cool and forgot all about it. Somewhere we have a picture of our black poodle who went outside later than night and came back in with a white face - he checked to see whether the white stuff was anything worth eating!

1chartfp@comcast.net

Shelina said...

Happy New Year Laurie. Your wonky houses are bright and colorful. Keep it up, and you'll be finished!
I love fondue, and got a fondue set, but just haven't gotten around to buying the flame, or whatever it takes to warm it up. I'll have to look for sterno. I'll heed your advice and try to be careful with it.