Don't Be Shy!

I am glad you stopped by my blog! I'd like to get to know more about you! I enjoy each and every comment left on my blog! If you're new, please introduce yourself! Comments are welcomed!!

Thursday, April 27, 2006

I'm still here!!!

Hi everyone! I'm still here! I have to tell you that Mr. Mallard was here AGAIN yesterday afternoon. My son went and chased him away! It is just too weird to see a mallard here in KS...there aren't a lot of ponds/lakes...I guess he just loves our pool! ;o)

I read Amy's blog today and she wrote about her starting to quilt. I thought I'd share my story.

It goes back to 1998 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. (the story is in this link, scroll all the way down to December 1st) http://gottaquilt.blogspot.com/2005_12_01_gottaquilt_archive.html 1999 arrived and my sisters were busy making quilts for kids that were graduating. To keep my mind off of chemo and to get me out of the house (winters in MN can get cold and long) they dragged me to the LQS with them. I found that they were asking my opinions a LOT about fabric choices and colors. I WAS GOOD AT THIS! LOL...

Then we went shopping again and I thought to myself, "I can do this!" It's just taking fabric apart and putting it back together in a different way. Kinda of like puzzles. SO...that is how it began...I told my sisters and they said sure I could do this!!! I started in June or so of '99 and haven't stopped! I also bought a longarm about 4 years ago so I could qilt my own stuff!

Quilting has enabled me to meet lots of neat people as well!!!!! One thing I have learned is that most quilters are great, kind, giving people! I truly am grateful for the gift of being a quilter!!!

Hugs
Laurie

9 comments:

Hunter said...

If you were a duck, which would you choose? A dirty old lake or a nice, clean pool?

Enough said. LOL.

And I'm still hearing:

That's the way I like it...

I just sang a verse to Dear Husband and I think he may just shoot me. ;)

Thank you for sharing your story.

Darilyn

Silverthimble said...

Thank you for sharing your Survivor story. It brought tears to my eyes as I read it. Celebrate life and continue to share your story--it serves as great inspiration to the rest of us!

Vicky said...

Wonderful story, Laurie. I say quilting is good for whatever ails you! I know it's been a huge factor in my recovery - which I'll tell you all about on June 11th, a very special day! (((HUGS)))

Cher said...

yay Laurie-great story in all ways...isn't it fun how quilting can bring us together with such a variety of wonderful people :-)

Patti said...

I definitely believe that quilting can "fix what ails you". Congratulations on being a 7 year survivor!

Laurie Ann said...

Great news, congrats! Mr Mallard must have arrived to share the celebration! Hope he doesn't poop in your pool!!! :) BTW I adore the bright polka dots you got! Makes me want to start collecting again for another quilt!!

Hanne said...

Quilting is very good, both in good days and in those not so good. Thanks for sharing !

Hunter said...

Any word from Daffy?

:)

Darilyn

Unknown said...

Just so you know, the link in this post is what has your profile at the bottom of the screen.

Hugs,
Melinda