Don't Be Shy!

I am glad you stopped by my blog! I'd like to get to know more about you! I enjoy each and every comment left on my blog! If you're new, please introduce yourself! Comments are welcomed!!

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Do you believe God puts you somewhere for a reason?

Today I spent the morning cleaning the main floor of the house. It took me longer than I had anticipated and I got in the shower around 12:30. My tummy was growling so I decided to get lunch and go to Joann's and look for an applique pressing sheet. While at Joann's I notice an older couple sitting at a sewing machine and looking at a book. I didn't think anything of it except that I thought they were a cute couple and how often do you see a man in Joann's?? Anyway, after not finding what I wanted I decided to look at the books because I had a couple of 40% off coupons. While looking the older man started looking at books. I asked him if he'd like a 40% coupon if he was going to buy a book. He took it, thanked me and I asked if he was a quilter. He said no, but a dear friend from church was dying of cancer (his voice was cracking and tears were welling in his eyes and I asked him if I could give him a hug which I did) and a group wanted to make a quilt for her. I said, "Oh, a comfort quilt!" His eyes lit up and he said YES! (There was an 85 year old gal at church who used to quilt and she was going to help them.
) The dying friends favorite things are angels and he was looking for an angel pattern. I said, "What about angel fabric?" He told me his wife was looking for that!

I told him if they didn't find any that I had an AWESOME angel fabric at home, not sure how much but I would gladly give it to them. He was thrilled...I gave him my business card and we talked. His wife eventually joined us and she started crying so I gave her a hug as well! I also explained that I had a longarm and would be honored to quilt the top when it was finished. I almost had to tie the 2 down! I proceeded to give them my business card and directions to my house. His wife asked him if he wanted to get something to eat first. I said that would be great as it would give me time to get the fabric together and an angel pattern that I had.

I arrived home and told Sarah the story and she said OMG Mom, you'll probably end up making the quilt for them. I said, "Well, I will if that is what needs to be done!"

They arrived at my home about 45 mins later, Linda and Bill! I showed them the fabric and they were THRILLED with it! (as soon as they came into the house Bill took his coat off and made himself comfortable at my dining room table!!!) We talked, I sketched ideas, ideas bounced back and forth and we settled on a design. There will be 28-8" blocks with WOW angels appliqued on backgrounds that pick up the colors in the fabric below.

I asked Bill and Linda if anyone in the group is a quilter. They told me no. I offered to make the top and they both welled up with tears AGAIN! I told them that I had a quilt retreat this weekend and I would work on the blocks over the weekend and they would be ready for them to pick up on Monday.

Linda told me that during lunch they were talking about me and they both started crying. Bill said he told his wife that when I asked if I could give him a hug he thought, OMG, my wife is in this store SOMEWHERE!!! Linda said if she had caught him hugging a strange woman in Joann's she would've said, "Bill, I just can't leave you anywhere can I?" LOL too cute!

I said, "You know, I wanted to be at Joann's before noon today but the house cleaning had me running late. I believe God wanted me to be there to meet the 2 of you!" They both agreed with Bill saying that he truly believes in God putting people in the right place at the right time!

SO...there you have it! Do you believe?????

Hugs
Laurie

15 comments:

Debra Dee said...

Laurie...you are the best. I am so glad you shared that story even if it did make me boo-hoo (a bunch). Your encounter is just touching. I learned from a child, many years ago, that you always get back four times what you give. You are a God send for this couple and their ailing friend.

Carolyn said...

I believe! What a beautiful story...you were definitely there for a reason. Congratulations on listening to what God was telling you and doing the right thing. Sometimes when we look at all we have on our plates, we silence God because we don't want to hear what he's saying. You are an angel.

Carolyn

Passionate Quilter said...

Laurie, you are truly an angel sent by God to that couple. Good girl for listening to that quiet urging. What a beautiful story, and I cried right along with that couple. Makes you feel honored to be chosen as one of His messengers, doesn't it?

Unknown said...

Sometimes we hear without listening. I am glad you followed even tho you were not aware of a greater plan.
Best wishes,
Cindy

Fisher said...

Laurie, that is the most beautiful story. You are an incredibly generous woman. You are so kind. You have such a busy life, but you take time to make a HUGE commitment to help someone else.

Laurie Ann said...

Yes, you were definately where God wanted you to be at that time! Thanks to you the quilt will get done in time to provide the comfort needed. Plus, not only are you helping the person with cancer, you are also a blessing to all the other folks in that group. Well done!

Marilyn said...

Laurie,
What a beautiful story! You are a sweetheart for sharing with others and with us. Yes, I believe!!

Marilyn

Samantha said...

what a great story- howwonderfuland generous of you!!!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

This quilt is sure to bring lots of comfort both to this couple's friend and also them and their friends who wanted to get this accomplished. And although they didn't really know how to go about to get it accomplished - it looks like that is now being taken care of by - very generous and caring you! And how many people would just happen to have an angel fabric in their stash!!! It is a great story.

Cheers!

Evelyn

Joanne said...

Wow, Laurie, all I can say is "Amazing". What an angel on earth you are.

Cher said...

so glad you were at the right spot at the right time! these folks needed you and it worked out-can not wait to see the resulting quilt

Vicky said...

That's a lovely story, Laurie. Yes, God did put you there for a reason, but as importantly, you realized the reason and acted upon it. Blessings to you.

Finn said...

What a great thing happened, to both you and them. I don't think the only angel involed here was a fabric or a pattern..*VBS* Sometimes we are the angel and the tool that God uses...what a sweetie you are to see what was needed and offer it so unselfishly..Hugs, Finn

Granny said...

Laurie: What a great story and what a caring girl you are. I cannot even imagine how touched the older couple must be. You're so kind!

Judy L.

Mary Johnson said...

What a wonderful opportunity to make a difference. Good for you for jumping in and helping.