Don't Be Shy!

I am glad you stopped by my blog! I'd like to get to know more about you! I enjoy each and every comment left on my blog! If you're new, please introduce yourself! Comments are welcomed!!

Monday, February 27, 2006

Retreat and Angels!!!

Retreat this weekend was SO VERY RELAXING!!! I was able to get the binding done on the quilt for my friend and give it to her! Here she is, the NEW her, 30 lbs lighter than last year, and the quilt I made for her! SHE LOVED IT!!! There are also 2 closeups of the quilting! The last pic is of a few of those angel blocks and the angel fabric. Laying on top of the angel fabric is a scissor holder that we made at retreat. The spiral is the reverse applique technique we were taught. It's hard to tell, but the spiral is beaded as well! It's the first time I have ever beaded and it was FUN! I think my friend and I are hooked!!!

We chose to try to finish up last year's retreat project rather than start this year's project. We were sort of rebels and it was GREAT!!!

The angel blocks will be picked up this afternoon. I hope they like them! I am not sure when I'll get them back but it'll go together quickly. I am not going to zig-zag or buttonhole 28 blocks because I don't think I have the time. Instead I think I will just do a funky stitch with the longarm to anchor them. They are fused down...any opinions?

Have a great day!
Hugs
Laurie
PS(click on the pics to get a closer up view)





10 comments:

Hunter said...

Such beautiful quilting on your quilt.

And your retreat sounds so relaxing. And isn't it great to do just what you want?

Hugs.
Darilyn

Finn said...

The angels look wonderful..and I do LOVE that background fabric with the angel girls..*S* The spiral looks fantastic and so does the beading! Sounds like you had a great time..*VBS*

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Sounds like you had fun on retreat. And, sometimes it is more fun to work/finish a project than starting a new one! Glad that your friend liked her quilt, but how could she not? It is great.

Angels - I would take a pigma pen and DRAW stitches around the edges, maybe add some faces - nothing complicated - just closed eyes and a little mouth or something. Then go right ahead and sew right over them while quilting to anchor. Because they are fused, and the intended purpose of this quilt, I think that this will be just fine!!! They really came out sweet.

Cheers!

Evelyn

Granny said...

Laurie: Glad the retreat was great. Laurie looks fantastic! I see why she loved her quilt. The piecing, the colors and the quilting all look great.

The angels are fantastic! That is such a nice thing you're doing. I'm sure going around the edges with the longarm will be fine.

Judy L.

Cher said...

I think the angels turned out perfect...I am sure they will be very happy about how they turned out. What a wonderful retreat you had! great quilt too...all in all, a very fun time it sounds

Unknown said...

The angel blocks are heavenly. I am certain they will love them ... your thoughtfulness will be warmly appreciated.

Jeanne said...

I did a quilt that way: fused and then meander-quilted, NOT outlining the shapes, and it was fine. After a number of washings, some of the edges fuzzled up a little, but the shape stayed in place cause it did have quilting passing over it.

Patti said...

Great picture of your friend and great quilt! I bet she was just thrilled.!

Mary Johnson said...

You've been busy. The quilt for your friend turned out really nice - I'm sure she loved it.

I'm getting ready to try some raw edge applique with the longarm too - I'm going to do some leaves. Let me know how yours goes.

Passionate Quilter said...

Glad to hear you had such a great time on your retreat. And getting something done is just as rewarding as starting something new! I'm glad your friend liked her quilt, she'd be a fool not to though.

The angels blocks are adorable, I like all the different backgrounds. I'm sure stitching over them while quilting will be fine.