Don't Be Shy!

I am glad you stopped by my blog! I'd like to get to know more about you! I enjoy each and every comment left on my blog! If you're new, please introduce yourself! Comments are welcomed!!

Monday, November 12, 2007

Happy Birthday Mom

Saturday was my mom's birthday. Mom would've been 78 but she died of ovarian cancer May 20, 1992. Gosh I miss her SOOOO very much! Mom was such a woman of faith, heart, courage, hope, perseverance and so much more. She shared such an awesome love with my dad and I know he misses her terribly.

Mom stayed at home and raised 5 kids. Not just any 5 kids, but 5 successful and happy kids! Mom kept the house cleaned, loved to cook, baked the best desserts ever, and never missed our activities. She was our #1 fan and supporter. Mom always told us to chase our dreams and believe in them. My dream was to marry and have children in a happy home. I have been fortunate to experience my dream and continue to live it.

Mom's 7.5 year journey with ovarian cancer taught me about courage and facing a tough situation head on. Mom never said "why me" but just fought like crazy to live life to the fullest! She had chemo at a time when there werent' anti nausea drugs so she spent hours vomitting after each treatment...she and dad took a bucket and towel with them in the car because it hit mom that quickly.

I'll never forget the day that mom decided to stop the fight with drugs and just LIVE the rest of her days with as much vim and vigor as possible. She started calling all 5 of us kids as she always did, oldest to youngest. That means that since I am the youngest I got her at the most emotional time. She wanted to ask all of us if we minded that she stopped treatment. By the time mom called me she was pretty teary eyed and I tried ever so hard to NOT cry...I failed miserably. I did manage to tell mom from the bottom of my heart that this was her decision and that she had fought a valiant fight. I told her how much I loved her and supported her decision.

That was our last birthday, thanksgiving, and Christmas with mom. She failed slower than we thought and we began to worry about whose birthday she would die on. You see, from April 12 to May 25 mom had 8 different family member birthdays and of course mother's day in there as well that she could've died on. But being a mom to the end, she died on her own day and was buried a few days before that last bday.

On Saturday, mom's birthday, DH and I were in our hometown and we went to the cemetary to wish mom a happy birthday. While leaving the cemetary, DH grabbed my hand and held it up in the air and said, "And Joseph, they're STILL in love!" I giggled and kissed him! You see, the importance of that was from an experience about 26 years ago when we went to our hometown to tell our families we were engaged. DH and I had only dated 3 times before getting engaged and my dad said, "What brought this on?". DH was not sure what to say cuz he thought for sure that my dad figured I was pregnant (which I wasn't). My mom stepped in rather quickly and said, "Well Joseph, it's obvious they are in LOVE!" :oD Mom endeared herself to my DH FOREVER in that instant! To this day he still says, "I don't get how anyone can hate their mother-in-law. Mine was the BEST and I loved her so very much and miss her too!" (there are always tears in his eyes when he says that!)

SO Mom, even though tis is late, know that you are loved, you have 2 great grandchildren, and everyone is doing well! I LOVE YOU MOM!!!!!

2 comments:

Barb said...

(((((HUGS)))) for you Laurie...your blog post is a beautiful tribute to your mom! She *IS* very proud of you...I can't say *would be* because I believe *our* moms are looking down on us every minute!! I miss my mom everyday, and I want so much to tell her things...but I believe she knows it already!! H/LY

Teri said...

Wow!

Teri