Don't Be Shy!

I am glad you stopped by my blog! I'd like to get to know more about you! I enjoy each and every comment left on my blog! If you're new, please introduce yourself! Comments are welcomed!!

Thursday, November 15, 2007

How many rulers can a quilter have?

I think the answer to that is AS MANY RULERS AS THE QUILTER WANTS!!! Notice I didn't say as many rulers as the quilter NEEDS!!! My problem is that I have rulers that I have NO clue how to use! YIKES!!! I have the "square in a square" ruler that I have NEVER used! I have Kaye Woods' "Starmaker" rulers that I have NEVER used! I have a "Lazy Angle" ruler that I have NEVER used! I have a setting triangle ruler that I have NEVER used! I have a "Pineapple Ruler" that I have NEVER used and don't even REMEMBER buying! I thnk I need a RULER INTERVENTION! LOL

I decided to pick one of the rulers and learn how to use it today. I wanted to make 4 blocks from the ruler of choice but didn't get them all done. I am having neck/shoulder issues and had to stop.

Stay tuned tomorrow! I will post progress then!

Til then...RULERS RULE!!!!! ROFL


FESS UP...HOW MANY RULERS DO YOU HAVE THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN USED AND/OR THAT YOU FORGOT YOU EVEN HAD? HUH?
Hugs
Laurie

10 comments:

Leah Spencer said...

Should I confess that I've used all my rulers several times? I think I have 10 of them. Not very exciting, I know. ;)

Mary Johnson said...

I don't know an exact count but I do have some longarm rulers I haven't used and some triangle ones for piecing. I've been meaning to pull out the Tri Recs and use them.

The Calico Cat said...

I made 2 quilts with the square in a square ruler - both were Storm at Sea quilts... I did not care for all of the bias that that technique creates...

I have other rukers that I would be hard pressed to even find! Oh & I have far too many Marti Michell template sets that I have not used - not even once!

Barb said...

OH NO the pressure is on LOL!! How many rulers (?), toooooooooo many for sure! Some I don't remember how to use them, some I have no clue where I put them, some I will most likely never use :>) !!

I find that I use the same rulers for most projects, if I am doing something creative or inventive, I adapt the same old rulers to do the job, with the help of narrow masking tape to mark the repeated lines!!

Fun *blog post* Laurie! H/LY

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I have that pineapple ruler too - but I left it in Austria. DH is bringing it back to me because I really want to use it!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Patti said...

Hi Laurie, Catching up with all the blogs in my "must read" folder and it's your turn today. I was SO far behind that I had to start with October for everyone. I didn't want to miss a single quilty thing!

I can sure identify with you when it comes to rulers. I have them everywhere - I think I have at least 40 or more different rulers - and there are many that I've never used. That should be another goal now that I'm retired - try doing a project from every ruler I have. I can't wait to read on to see which one you picked to use first.

Anonymous said...

You haven"t used your Starmaker rulers? You must be working way too hard at your quiltmaking. Just wanted to let you know what you are missing. The Starmakers will accurately cut about 65% of all geometric shapes used in quilts.
They are the only angles I have ever used. But then my name is Kaye Wood. Maybe that explains it.
Have a great day! And have fun with your quiltmaking.

Coyote Quilts said...

I'm not sure how many rulers I have, but I do know that I have a couple I don't use because I can't see well with them. I just might have a couple that I look at when getting out another ruler. I have one that I bought last year in a shop hop that is for setting triangles for on point quilts. I just thought of another project to use this one for that I am working on right now. I am with Kaye Wood about the 'Starmaker' rulers. You will fall in LOVE with them when you try them. All other angle rulers will start collecting dust!! With these rulers you do not need a different sized ruler for different sized blocks. Also with most of Kaye's patterns if you want a different sized block just increase or decrease your strip width then follow the same pattern. No new pattern or ruler needed!!! On to more quilting!!

Sharon
http://coyotequilts.blogspot.com/

Bonnie said...

Does anyone have a starmaker 6
they want to sell?

Zeee said...

I'd love to find out where to buy the Starmaker 6 from. It's unfortunate that there aren't any places in the UK that sell all these cool rulers. Maybe it's a good thing as I might be tempted to buy more quilting tools than I need! But I have come across some amazing tutorials but all point to the starmaker 6. I wanted to know what angle the Starmaker 6 is? I'm assuming 30 degrees? I might just have to go the long route and use an omnigrid ruler.