Don't Be Shy!

I am glad you stopped by my blog! I'd like to get to know more about you! I enjoy each and every comment left on my blog! If you're new, please introduce yourself! Comments are welcomed!!

Friday, January 06, 2006

DH and I like our beer! YES, this is quilty!

My husband and I really enjoy drinking good beer. There is a restaurant here in KS called "Old Chicago". They have 110 different beers, tap and bottle, and you sign up to be a World Beer Tour member. When you become a WBT member you get a plastic membership card and every time you drink a beer you get credit for it. Once you drink 110 DIFFERENT beers (you don't get credit for drinking the same beer 2x) you get your name on a plaque at that location. Along the way you get prizes too!!! Tshirts, sweatshirts, bottle openers, BBQ tool set and more! They also have various themed mini-tours that you get a tshirt for when you finish it! TOTALLY FUN!!!

SO...now that you have the background here is my story! One night we were sitting at the bar and one of the taps (Hazed & Infused) caught my eye. I LOVED THE COLORS! (and the beer!) ;o) I kept telling DH, I gotta make a quilt out of that beer tap! Being the dork he is he said, "Wouldn't it be easier to make it out of fabric?" DUH Well, needless to say I could NOT get the image out of my mind. We bought a 6 pack of the beer at the liquor store, but it just wasn't the same as having the tap from Old Chicago. One night last week we were in the restaurant eatin gand the mgr. came up to us (we know the mgrs because DD works there) and asked how our holidays were. I then said, HEY, can I have the Hazed and Infused beer tap? He looked at me kinda funny like and I said I HAVE to make a quilt out of those colors! He said hang on a sec and came back with an EXTRA H&I tap and gave it to me...PLUS he brought out a bucket of old taps. I took 5 of them in exchange for making him a tshirt quilt. I know I probably am coming up on the short of that stick but it's OK! SO...here is the tap that I coveted and now own!



A couple of days ago I thought, "It's time to pick fabrics for the H&I quilt!" So, I did! All of these are out of my stash!!! WOOHOO...STASHBUSTIN' IN '06!! I also laid out the Joen Wolfrom's color wheel device on top of the fabrics so you can see how it works. I don't use this often for my color choices, but I was so intrigued by the tap that I wanted to see if it fell into one of her 5 categories:

*monochromatic (one color)
*complementary (2 colors directly opposite from each other on the wheel)
*analogous (7 colors next to each other on the cw)
*splilt-complementary (2 complementary colors and add 2 colors on either side of ONE of those)
*triadic (3 colors equi-distant from each other on the cw)
And it DOES!!!!!!!!!!! It is SPLIT COMPLEMENTARY! How COOL is this???!!! Now to find the PERFECT PATTERN! AH, the hunt of the PERFECT PATTERN! I"ll find it somewhere! Someday...

So here is a picture of the fabrics, the left column are purples (the very deep purple didn't photograph well, it looks almost black but it is a black purple), then blues, yellow greens and yellow). This should be FUN!



Oh, here is a pic of the WBT tshirt quilt I made for DH and I cuz we had waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many! We have finished 4 full tours and are on our 5th!!!



I am going to PIECE today if it kills me! I probably will go get lunch at Moe's and then crank out quilting the rest of the afternoon! WOOHOO!!! I spent a whole day cleaning this pit of a sewing room so now it's time to mess it up! LOL...I even dusted behind stuff and pics and got cobwebs outta the corners! Do I REALLY want to mess it up????!!! Aw heck...WHY NOT! Have a great day everyone!!!

Hugs,
Laurie

10 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

Great colors/fabrics. I can't wait to see the beer tap quilt.

I have Joen Wolfrom's Color Play book and the color cards and find them both helpful although a lot of my quilts are scrappy with everything thrown in.

Hunter said...

Love the colors and the story behind the quilt.

And isn't the best part of cleaning up messing it up again?

Darilyn

Laurie Ann said...

Laurie - Okay, it must be true ... we were separated at birth!! My DH and I love our beer too! :) 5th time around, whew, impressive! Also love the colors for the quilt and I am looking forward to seeing what pattern you come up with. Fun!

Granny said...

Laurie! How neat! I love the Joen Wolform color tool and the colors you picked are absolutely perfect. And, they came out of your stash. What a great project!

Can't wait to watch this quilt in progress.

Can't wait to tell DH about this .. I love it!

Judy

Finn said...

What an awesome inspiration!! And I love the "tap" and the colors you chose! It'll be such fun to see what pattern you decide to use..great job Laurie!!
Hugs, Finn P.S. Love the Tshirt quilt too..looks neat and well done.

Marilyn said...

Laurie,
WOW! Those color selections are awesome! It's amazing where we can find inspiration for our quilts!

Marilyn

The Calico Cat said...

WOW - about the 110 beers (I like agood beer to, but not a great variety of styles of beer - I know you know what I mean!)
Wow those fabrics look GREAT!
WOW you actually used that Joen thing... She spoke at our guild. (Not a very good speaker, IMHO) I am a "renegade" and as such go more from the seat of my pants....

recap:
WOW, WOW, WOW!

Cher said...

nice fabrics to show case that beer tap! I think a great addition would be a photo block of the tap as part of your label...it's too good of a story not to include with the quilt-can't wait to see which pattern you choose and follow the progress!
I think we find quilty inspiration all around us-your beer tap is a great example! Cher

Jeanne said...

I'm lovin' the beer-quilt connection!! :) The colors you pulled are great!

Samantha said...

Love the colors for the H&I! I'm not a beer drinker myself (I'll stick to cosmos, thanks) but these colors could convince me ;-)