Don't Be Shy!

I am glad you stopped by my blog! I'd like to get to know more about you! I enjoy each and every comment left on my blog! If you're new, please introduce yourself! Comments are welcomed!!

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Today's Project

My oldest son, Joe, is a huge music nut. He wants to go to school for music production. SO...he found these panels on ebay and asked if I could make a quilt out of them for him. I said when you are independent and out of the house! LOL...SO...now that he is moving into his own place on Monday he's been bugging me to get this done for him! It was a challenge as the panels are a very thin 100% polyester and trust me...it doesn't like meeting up with 100% cotton! LOL...There a couple of minor issues and I think they will be ok when quilted...time will tell! Here is the top!


And here is a close up of the guitar fabric...Joe has taught himself how to play the guitar and that is why we bought this for the borders. NOW...I wanted to surprise him with this because he has said several times, "Mom, you have til Super Bowl Sunday to get my quilt done!" LOL...TOday I was listening for his "HEAVY" footsteps upstairs(my sewing room is below the kitchen where everyone enters the house) because I had the top pinned to the rec room carpet in order to do the borders. I heard "softer than Joe" footsteps and figured it was Dan coming home from work. All of a sudden I hear, "MOM IT IS AWESOME!!!!" DANG IT...it was Joe...he saw his surprse but only with the sashing strips and not the guitar border. What's a mom to do! LOL



Now I am going to go put on some makeup, figure out what outfit I want to wear for date night with DH. We are going a restaurant that serves great seafood and then to the symphony orchestra where a gal and guy perform with the orchestra and will do the music of Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. Should be fun!

Have a great night!
Hugs
Laurie

8 comments:

Granny said...

That guitar fabric is perfect! Joe is going to love it. Have fun on your date!!

Judy

Debra Dee said...

For my 2 cents worth.... when I have to work with very thin or very slinky fabric I attach an iron on knit interfacing. I know it is too late for this project, but maybe for something in the future.

Mary Johnson said...

The quilt looks great - I'm not surprised he loves it.

My son moved out in November and is expecting a sofa quilt made out of his old blue jeans for his birthday in March. The only requirement - that it not be a rag quilt - guess what I had planned to make out of all the jeans squares I'd cut??

Enjoy the symphony.

Quiltgranny said...

Even the kids can inspire us, too, eh? Love the way it all works together - and I can just "see" Joe! I, too, have used the soft iron on interfacing when working with the softer fabrics. Maybe it's not too late to put them on the blocks before you quilt? It would help give the entire thing a longer life, too, I think.

Cher said...

very cool-oh the quilts our children talk us into! It looks great and I am sure he will be so proud of it-hope your date was fun!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I see what my future holds... right now my Little Boy wants a Thomas Train quilt - he saw me looking at one on the web this morning! Before I know it - it might be rock bands!!!

If your son likes it now - he is really going to love it when it is done. It looks great!

Enjoy your date.

Cheers!

Evelyn

The Calico Cat said...

Cool quilt - enjoy your date! (Can you spare a scrap of the guitars?)

Laurie Ann said...

Yeah, very nice! Love the guitar fabric too. Hope date night was fun. Seafood. yummmmmmmm..