Don't Be Shy!

I am glad you stopped by my blog! I'd like to get to know more about you! I enjoy each and every comment left on my blog! If you're new, please introduce yourself! Comments are welcomed!!

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Retreat Applique Project and more...

I haven't posted something quilty this week so here goes! This is the finished applique part of my 2005 applique retreat! I still want to enhance it with beading or rhinestones or something like that. Also, I am going to do a striped border that I will cut on the diagonal and add some pizzazz to it as well. As you can see, I struggle with picking fabrics that stand out on this background. I could have trouble picking out fabrics on a cream background! LOL...one of my challenges with the dreaded "A" word in quilting! Here is a closeup of a couple of the flowers using bias to highlight the petals. I really liked this method because I didn't have to worry about things shifting! Just butt the pieces up to each other, baste them in place, and attach the bias that I made.
I put a pink ribbon from another breast cancer fabric that I have in the center of this flower!
The ribbon was done in pinks for my being a breast cancer survivor. I think I'll hang this in my sewing room when it's finished! IF it gets finished! ;o)
Lastly, these are 3 of 40 applique blocks that I am going to put into a patchwork quilt. My friend who went on retreat with me last year and again this year, and mysel bought 5" squares of this gorgeous line from Moda. We just fell in love with it. I knew right away that I wanted to applique them into hearts. I found a gorgeous deep red and a buttery yellow (the pics don't do the colors justice) for the backgrounds. I don't think I will sash them...but I'll wait and let the quilt talk to me when it's done. It's nice to have something simple to applique on at night.

SO...there ya have it! Something quilty from me!
Hugs
Laurie

10 comments:

Vicky said...

Beautiful applique, Laurie. And I think you did a fabulous job of choosing your fabrics!

Finn said...

Beautiful fabrics to work with Laurie, I love them..*VBS* You hae a long way to go yet, don't you?? But a really grand start! Thanks for sharing.,,*VBS*

Debby Brown said...

Gorgeous!

Passionate Quilter said...

beautiful! I love all your fabric choices, so pretty and yet subtle. What a nice reminder that you are a survivor! :) Pretty little hearts too!

Jeanne said...

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} for the pink ribbon from one survivor to another!!!!
Jeanne :)

Pink and Barbara said...

Hi!
The applique looks beautifull!

Laurie Ann said...

Good job on the applique! I use a little wonder under once in awhile but for the most part I try to avoid applique! Scary! :)

Hunter said...

Beautiful work.

And I facilitate the Breast Cancer Support Group on Maui. Wish you were here to share your experiences. You and Jeanne would be such wonderful additions to our group. :)

And there are two other quilters there, too.

Hugs.
Darilyn

Cher said...

you sure have mastered that "a" word! gorgeous block..and sweet hearts..

Granny said...

Laurie, the applique looks so good!! One day I'm going applique! I think your fabrics look great with the background. Reminds me of cotton candy!

Judy L.