Don't Be Shy!

I am glad you stopped by my blog! I'd like to get to know more about you! I enjoy each and every comment left on my blog! If you're new, please introduce yourself! Comments are welcomed!!

Friday, June 09, 2006

How I grieve

You might remember that almost 2 weeks ago, an online quilting buddy, Cheri, died of brain cancer. I was fortunate to meet her in person and went to her funeral in Arkansas. While driving there I saw billboards for a quilt store so I stopped! I love brights as did Cheri. I found some AWESOME Jane Sassaman's and bought 1/2 yard cuts of 5 of fabrics. (4 of them JS) I didn't have a clue as to what I wanted to do with them but bought them anyway! We've all done that a time or two!!!

Last weekend I thought, this quilt needs to be made in honor of Cheri! SO...I set out to find a pattern that was FAST and would SHOWCASE these gorgeous fabrics. I found "Turning 20" by Tricia Cribbs and it called for 20 FQ's. I thought, hmmmmm...I can get 20 FQ's out of my fabric that I bought!!! SO...I set to work CUT CUT OOPS CUT...that OOPS was a miscut and I had to put my project on hold until I could get more fabric! The fabric arrived and here are pics of the top.

The pattern calls for 3.5" borders all the way around but I like it as it is and don't want it any bigger. It's meant to be a lapquilt for me and remind me of Cheri and the love she had for quilting! I think I might call it "Shine On Cheri" but I'm open to ideas!

I wish the computer showed the vibrant colors! They are SO fun!!! Enjoy!!!!
Hugs
Laurie


14 comments:

Fiona said...

What a lovely way to remember your friend. The colours do show up bright when you click to enlarge the picture - I like the floral design on the fabric too.

Unknown said...

I echo Fiona's comment - there is a very special vibrancy about both the individual fabrics and their arrangement in this quilt - hard to capture someone in fabric but by the sound of your description I think you've done just that :o)

Granny said...

I love the brights and I especially love the strip in there. The new blog looks really pretty and cheery!

Judy L.

Pam said...

Shine on Cheri....that is perfect! What a wonderful treasure for you to have to remember Cheri by.

BTW, I love the new blog look!

Unknown said...

It's perfect. That's one of the last patterns she wanted to work on. She would love it. Thank you.

Hugs,
Melinda

Laurie said...

OMG Melinda...I had no clue about that pattern!!! That makes my quilt even MORE special to me! Thanks for sharing that with me!
HUGS
Laurie

Vicky said...

Laurie, the quilt is so cheery and beautiful, just like Cheri. What a great reminder of your friendship with her. She was a very special lady.

And a note to Melinda: You and your mother and family are very much in my prayers.

((HUGS))
Vicky

Jeanne said...

This quilt is a celebration of Cheri's memory!
Jeanne

Silverthimble said...

What a wonderful reminder of your friend! I love the quilt! I also like what you have done to give your blog a new look!

ForestJane said...

Really like that set of fabrics you used, and the quilt will be a sweet memory of a good friend.

I hate it when I oops cut fabric. Glad you were able to get some more!

Hanne said...

What a lovely way to remember a friend ! I really like the quilt.

Laurie Ann said...

I love that quilt and I am sure your friend would have as well. She would be happy that every time you looked at the quilt you think of her. Turning Twenty is definately on my shop hop pattern list.

Saska said...

This quilt is as bright as Cheri was. I'm sure her girls will love the thought!

Samantha said...

What a lovely quilt, and a lovely way to remember your friend. I think "Shine on Cheri" is a fantastic title!!