Don't Be Shy!

I am glad you stopped by my blog! I'd like to get to know more about you! I enjoy each and every comment left on my blog! If you're new, please introduce yourself! Comments are welcomed!!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Year Long Mystery

This was a quilt I made from a year long mystery. The designer is Gwen Lundgren (sorry, no link for you) and she works with a shop in MN that I took classes from before moving to KS. When we moved I signed up for her year long mysteries and she mailed me the directions every month. I LOVED this one...and it was a top until I went to see my oncologist in MN. I was SO POSITIVE that my Dr. was going to release me from her (it had been 6 years of cancer free living) that I wanted to give her a gift. SO...this quilt seemed appropriate! I went to my appt. with her and dh joined me. We went thru the blood testing, the check up and was told I was doing SUPER!!!!!
My oncologist then asked if I had any questions. I said nope! She said great, see you next year!
I said, HUH? I thougth you'd be done with me! She said, well, I'd like to see you again! And she started to leave the room!
I said, WAIT...I have a gift for you! She stopped dead in her tracks and said for ME????? I said yes!! She opened it up and was stunned! Tears welled in her eyes and she loved it! She said I might want to hang this on my wall instead of using it as a quilt for warmth. I told her that it was fine but to please love it and use it if she wished to!!!

I thought I had a picture of the label but i guess not. Darn it! It was cool!

I hope you enjoyed this!
Hugs
Laurie

15 comments:

kim said...

The post about your mom was beautiful! I also think it's wonderful what you did for your Dr. I'm so glad you made it through everything! :-) Kim

quiltpixie said...

what a beautiful gift. I'm sure that you've made the doctor's day/week month... Nasty surprise to have to continue to go back, but far from the worst surprise you could have I'm sure :-) Never heard of year long mysteries, you're brave. I don't know that I could hang in there that long.

Kim West said...

That is a beautiful quilt and beautiful quilting done on it. Glad things are going well, sorry you have to go back next year.

Hanne said...

A lovely quilt and a very special gift for a special Dr.

The Calico Cat said...

Cool story & nice quilt!

Nancy said...

Beautiful quilt and story. I'm so glad you shared both with us. It is a bummer that you have to return again next year but I'm happy to hear you had another good report.

Judy said...

Wow what a gorgeous quilt!! The quilting is super too. Colors are just perfect, and I'm sure she was very appreciative for the gift!!

Laurie Ann said...

I really love that quilt. I'll be that was the best present she'd ever gotten from a patient!

Granny said...

Laurie: It's a beautiful quilt. Love the quilting too!! I'm sure that doctor will always think of you and smile!

Judy L.

Patti said...

I'm so glad you had such a great report - and what a wonderful gift for your doctor! Understandable, as she obviously saved your life so you could quilt many more years.

Doodlebug Gail said...

Way to go for a wonderful Doctor's report - those kinds of reports are always good aren't they? And that quilt is absolutely gorgeous - love it!

Linda C said...

Beautiful quilt and beautiful story. Did you quilt it?

ForestJane said...

Nice quilt, and congrats on your years of being cancer free!

I'm sure your oncologist will enjoy it. :)

Shelina said...

I bet doctors don't receive quilts very often. This one is so beautiful, and so thoughtful of you to give it to her. And congratulations on the great report.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

It is always fun to make a quilt for someone who is not expecting one and then have them love it! What isn't to love about this quilt? It is great! And, great story too! 6 years is great!!! Way to go!

Cheers!

Evelyn