Don't Be Shy!

I am glad you stopped by my blog! I'd like to get to know more about you! I enjoy each and every comment left on my blog! If you're new, please introduce yourself! Comments are welcomed!!

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year!!!

December 31, 2008 is now a memory. Here is a photo journal of some of DH's and my last day of the year!!!

Last year our son volunteered at the Fire Station and this year he had to work (he was hired on full time the day before Thanksgiving) at Station 3.

We made this year our 2nd year of taking the firefighters dinner from Jack Stack BBQ! The firefighters LOVE it too!!! They don't have to cook and they are getting AMAZING BBQ!!!

We were on our way to pick up the to-go order (about 3:15ish) when Dan called and said they were finishing up a call and wouldn't be able to meet us at the station at 4:00 as planned. I asked if there was a way to get in and Steve and I were given the code to the front door. We had to giggle when we got there. Ya know how in the movies when the station alarm goes off and they firefighters drop everything to go. WELL...it's true!!! The TV was on...the microwave was beeping with food in it, and this bowl of UNTOUCHED soup was stone cold on the kitchen table!!! Driving home I told Steve that I though the soup was our son's. (it was...I asked Dan when he got home this morning...he said it never tasted a bite of it!!!)

Once Steve and I got home I spread a quilt on the floor, sliced some cheese, opened 2 beers and broke out the SCRABBLE game (which was dusty since it probably hadn't been played in over 7 years!!!). I got the idea from Mary who has Scrabble Tournaments with her DH. Thanks Mary...it'd been YEARS since Steve and I had played Scrabble!!!

We watched a little football...KU played MN so we really couldn't lose! LOL...

And here ya go...Mary, you're gonna LOVE this story...I am leading Steve by 75 pts and he puts "RA_OR" in the upper right corner (enlarge photo, I had played Zany earlier in the game) and scores a 57. About 2 rounds later he says, "I can't win" and I told him he was only behind by 8. He laid down the "G" in "WIG" (upper left) and scored 11 pts and beat me by THREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRR...I thought I had the game in the bag. The second game was NO contest...he literally kicked my butt! I'd like to say it was fun but I really HATE to lose! LOL

I decided then that it was time to put the game away and eat! So we broke out the fondu!! YUMMY!!!

Once the main course was over we broke out the chocolate fondue for dessert! YUM YUM YUM!!!!!!

After that we watched some of our old Bob Newhart DVDs and I was in bed by 11pm. I was exhausted since I didn't sleep after waking up at 4:30am.

My wish for all of my family and friends is simple:
I wish you good health, happiness, and a year of peace and tranquility!!!

2 comments:

Barb said...

Thank you Laurie! My very best to you and your family, you too are wished a very Happy New Year and one of good health! You have quite a year coming up, my thoughts and prayers are with you! I loved reading of your quiet and fun New Years Eve! Very funny about Dan's soup, nice to know that firemen do respond quickly when they are needed!God please protect *our* firemen and *all* firemen! H/LY

Mary Johnson said...

I know what you mean - I hate to lose too but nights by the fire with the music playing and a Scrabble game going are the best! Happy New Year.