Don't Be Shy!

I am glad you stopped by my blog! I'd like to get to know more about you! I enjoy each and every comment left on my blog! If you're new, please introduce yourself! Comments are welcomed!!

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2008...NOT off to a good start

This is not how I wanted to start the New Year. I woke up with a sore throat and stuffy nose. UGH...All I wanted to do was sleep but the phone rang cuz the oldest couldn't get up to call and say he's too sick to work BUT...he could've called work and told them so that work wouldn't call and wake me up.

OK...enough whining. I was soon put in my place when I opened an email and found out a dear friend's mom was killed instantly in a car accident yesterday afternoon and her dad is just hanging on without life support which was his wish before the accident. They were on a 2 lane road, coming back from a Drs. appointment when "K" had to hit the brakes suddenly due to traffic. Being 81 his reflexes probably aren't what they used to be and the car slid sideways into the oncoming traffic. They were broadsided and "C" died instantly. "K" was life flighted to a major hospital where they soon discovered he was hemorrhaging in the brain and the brain was so swollen that they can't do surgery until that goes down. My friend, "D" got a call from the Dr. while on her way (3 hour trip) to be with her dad. The Doc said you have 10 mins to tell us if we should incubate you dad and put him on life support hoping we can keep him alive in order to do surgery in 10-14 days. "D" said no. Dad wanted no life support machines and a DNR. So, they are waiting for him to die. His odds with surgery were 20% that he'd survive and almost 100% that he'd be a vegetable.

My heart is aching. I feel helpless. All I can do is pray. I think I'll shower and make a quilt for the firestation. Please keep my friend and her family in your prayers. Her sister is probably now at the hospital..she had to fly in from Oregon and couldn't get in until today.

I'll post New Year's resolutions later.

2 comments:

Barb said...

Prayers Laurie...please know that my thoughts and prayers are with your friend and her family! Yes do make a quilt it is the best way I know to keep your mind busy, even though your heart is with your friend! H/LY Barb

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Such bad news is never easy. Your friend and her sister and family are in my thoughts/prayers and you too as a true friend shares the pain.

Hugs,

Evelyn