Don't Be Shy!

I am glad you stopped by my blog! I'd like to get to know more about you! I enjoy each and every comment left on my blog! If you're new, please introduce yourself! Comments are welcomed!!

Thursday, January 31, 2008

A different kind of "reduction"

I am working hard at reducing my stash. OH, it hasn't been easy but I am trying VERY hard to practice restraint when it comes to buying fabric. There has also been a different type of "reduction" going on here...as seen by my weight tracker at the top of my blog. Here's the story of the OTHER reduction going on in my life!

Last July I was driving home from Chicago when I had a very in depth talk with myself. That happens when one is alone on an 8 hour drive! LOL. Anywho...I was NOT happy with myself and how I had let myself go. I joined a health club, hired a personal trainer and STILL...no changes. WHY? Because I really didn't make the mental choice to change. I called Metabolic Research here in KS and made an appointment to "rejoin". Here is my picture that day...UGH!!!


You'll notice that I said "rejoin". You see, I had done MR a few years ago, never made my goal weight and quit. This is not a new cycle for me. I have probably lost close to 200 LBS combined over the past 20 years of my life. The problem was that I would work hard to take the weight off and then I would get complacent and start in with my old eating habits and then BAM...30, 40, even 50 LBS came back! (sigh) It has been a viscious cycle in my adult life and I could not break it. I was always on a "diet". GAWD how I DETEST that word...D I E T! GRRRRRRRRRRR


Whatever happened that day while driving back from Chicago is something that I am very grateful for. I have such a different mind set this time around...one that I haven't had before. I FEEL differently about how to eat and drink properly and KEEP myself healthy!


Back when I first joined the health club I did what is called a "Body Age Assessment". The BAA tests flexibility, endurance, strength and body fat and then tells you what age your body is. At the time I was 46yo...the test said I had the body of a 67yo! OMG...that had to be wrong! YIKES...Did that make me lose weight and get into shape? NAH... Did a trip to Hawaii for our 25th last summer make me get into shape and lose weight? NAH...


SOMETHING got me to get back into shape and I am thankful for that. I retook the BAA test about a month ago and am now my age...47!!! The test said if I lost 10 more LBS that I would be in the healthy range for body fat percentage. I have 4.5 more lbs to go for that!


So, you might be asking yourself, "what is different for Laurie this time around"? I can honestly say that the only thing I can put my finger on is mentally I just FEEL differently this time around! I WANT to be healthy and I NEED to be healthy and I WILL be healthy!!!


BTW...here is my after picture that was taken tonight! My DH's jaw dropped when he saw me! He said, "WOW...I like that outfit!" He also told me once that he liked watching me walk to the restroom and back when we go out. YIKES...maybe that was the motivation to get into shape!!! It certainly will help me STAY in shape cuz I want DH to be PROUD of me and ENJOY watching me walk to and from that restroom!!!

If you are struggling with your weight...nothing you try or do will work unless you are MENTALLY prepared to make it a LIFESTYLE CHANGE...DUMP the word DIET from your vocabulary!!!

Hugs
Laurie

7 comments:

Rose said...

Wow! Congratulations on the lifestyle change. You are really looking good, and you look so happy in the new picture...I do agree with you about D I E T. Diet is only a part of it...I am to the point I really need to do something...but I am having a hard time getting to it mentally. So much has got to change....

Granny said...

You look fantastic! Congratulations!

Barb said...

Laurie ~ Do I need to tell you again YOU CAN DO IT (?), YOU HAVE DONE IT! I am so PROUD OF YOU, and just look at you! The new Laurie is just *awesome* now just don't change the *fun, caring and loving* Laurie! H/LY

Saska said...

You look great! I need to do the same reduction, but am just not mentally there yet. Maybe you'll be my inspiration!

jacquie said...

Laurie,
What an inspiration you are. I am in the middle of the "reduction". I turned 50 and made a commitment to really be 50 and fabulous. I'm just beginning, but the first pounds have dropped as well as my BMI. I am on my way...fiercely determined to stay on the healthy track. Thanks for sharing. Seeing your beautiful picture makes me hopeful that I will be able to post one in the future.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

You have a great skill in telling a story - it isn't all about losing the weight, but also the mental health as you so well wrote about. Congratulations to you (and your DH, LOL!).

Cheers!

Evelyn

Mary Johnson said...

You DO look great. Congratulations on taking off the weight and making the lifestyle changes to keep it off.