Don't Be Shy!

I am glad you stopped by my blog! I'd like to get to know more about you! I enjoy each and every comment left on my blog! If you're new, please introduce yourself! Comments are welcomed!!

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Father-in-Law's quilt top done


My FIL is a western movie buff! He just LOVES those movies. SO, when I saw this fabric online about 6 months or more ago I just KNEW it was for him! My original design was to use the focus/black/gold fabrics only. I was going to do gold shasing/black cornerstones and then focus border. But after measuring the focus fabric after washing I only had 38" from selvage to selvage!!!!!!! (SHOCK) Can you believe that? But it turned out to be a good thing in the end because without the rusty/orange sashing this quilt would've been flat. I also did the borders like I did because I thought the black borders looked like a branding iron.

I put the back together tonight after dinner. Hopefully I can get it quilted tomorrow. OH...DH said that his dad will love it so much that he'll probably wrap himself in it in JULY!!! LOL

(the black fabric has ropes on it and the gold fabric is a bunch of overlapping horseshoes)

5 comments:

Nancy said...

You know I saw this fabric this summer and thought of my Daddy who loved old western movies. Your fil will just love this!

Carolyn said...

Very cool quilt...I think your FIL will love it!

Granny said...

Laurie: How cute! WOW! 38" after washing. That is just awful! I agree . . the orange really adds life. It's so nice when you can get a give a gift and know it will be appreciated.

Judy

Hunter said...

The quilt is so beautiful. And you can just tell it's going to be well loved.

It's shocking just how narrow some of the material is getting.

The Calico Cat said...

very nice. When I made a quilt for my fiancee's mother I asked what her favorite color is... "Plaid." so I make a "plaid" quilt with squares, rail fences, and 9-patches. Your quilt reminds me of that quilt - the squares and strips I guess...